skip to navigation menu
skip to main page content
skip to navigation menu
skip to main page content
Registering as self employed with HMRC guide image

Registering as self employed with HMRC

Before you can file a Tax Return you will have to register with HMRC and obtain a Unique Tax Reference (UTR)

You must register your new business with HM Revenue & Customs, you must do this within three months of starting. This is a simple process, you can register over the telephone by calling the Newly Self-Employed Helpline on 0845 915 4515 or online by completing the online registration form alternatively if you prefer paper forms you can complete form CWF1 and post it to HM Revenue & Customs.

Important: if you do not register within three months of your business starting you could face a £100 penalty.

There are two paper registration forms as follows:

  • CWF1  This is for self employed only
  • SA1  This is for anyone else who needs to make a return including Landlords.

You can request either of the forms from us, we will also help you to complete them if you wish.

Taxeezy Online Tax Return Service

Completing your Tax Return correctly, particularly when non-resident, is not an easy task and also can be very time consuming. For only £130 we can complete and file your Tax Return for you and ensure you claim all the allowable expenses and reliefs you are entitled to (Tax Treaty Claims and Capital Gains are subject to a £25 surcharge), saving you tax. Simply provide us with the information we ask for then leave the rest to us.

Start using our secure service for free.

Register Now

We make it easy for you!