skip to navigation menu
skip to main page content
skip to navigation menu
skip to main page content
Cab Driver Tax Explained guide image

Cab Driver Tax Explained

Tax Return guide for self-employed Cab Drivers

We can prepare your Tax Return online for just £130

If you are a self-employed cab driver you will need to complete a tax return so that you can declare your earnings to HMRC. This article will help to highlight some key things to remember for your tax return and how to save on tax.

You should keep records of all earnings and keep an organised record of all fares and tips. There are a number of taxi drivers that end up paying more tax than necessary, either because they haven’t recorded evidence of their costs or they don’t realise what expenses they can claim. All self employed people are allowed to claim tax allowable expenses; therefore taxi drivers should try and get into a routine of recording their income and expenses on a daily basis if possible.

If you use your taxi for your own personal use then you need to factor this in when any expenses are claimed. For example if you calculate that you use your taxi 20% of the time for personal or family use, then you would need to reduce any relevant vehicle running expenses by 20%.

Allowable Expenses for Cab Drivers

  • Petrol or diesel costs
  • The cost of repairs, servicing and running the taxi
  • The costs of your annual road tax and your MOT test
  • The cost of washing or cleaning your own taxi
  • Interest on any bank or personal loans taken out to purchase your taxi
  • Your license and any other registration fees
  • The cost of running your office (if you have one) or use of your home
  • Vehicle insurance
  • AA/RAC membership
  • Radio hire
  • Accountancy fees
  • Advertising
  • Phone usage for business use
  • Parking & toll fees

Capital Allowances can also be claimed for the cost of the vehicle, normally the writing down allowance is 18% per annum for 2012-13. Hackney Carriages (traditional ‘London Black Cab’ type vehicles) are eligible for the 100% first year Annual Investment Allowance. Other assets used for the taxi business may also be claimed.

Please Note: The annual writing down allowance can vary depending on the car’s CO2 emissions as follows:

  • over 160g/km allowance at 8% a year
  • 160g/km or less allowance at 18% a year
  • 110g/km or less qualify for a 100% first year allowance but they must be new cars, not second-hand.

You can check a car’s CO2 emissions at or from the V5 document

An alternative to claiming the vehicle running costs is the HMRC’s Fixed Scale Mileage Rate which is currently 45p per mile for the first 10,000 and 25p thereafter. This includes a depreciation allowance (capital allowance) for the vehicle but does not include interest on any loan to purchases the vehicle. This can be claimed in addition to the mileage allowance.

Taxeezy Online Tax Return Service

Completing your Tax Return correctly, particularly when non-resident, is not an easy task and also can be very time consuming. For only £130 we can complete and file your Tax Return for you and ensure you claim all the allowable expenses and reliefs you are entitled to (Tax Treaty Claims and Capital Gains are subject to a £25 surcharge), saving you tax. Simply provide us with the information we ask for then leave the rest to us.

Start using our secure service for free.

Register Now

We make it easy for you!